As published at www.pharocattle.com
If cow-calf producers want to have a prosperous future, they will need to make some major changes. The sooner they take the first step, the sooner they will reach their destination. I will review 10 steps required to get on the right road. These steps are not difficult - but they will require a paradigm shift.
- Step 1... Focus on pounds and profit per acre - instead of per animal. There is a BIG difference. Trying to increase pounds per animal will always have a negative effect on your profits. The status quo beef industry has been focused on the wrong thing for over 40 years.
- Step 2... Purchase ultra-low maintenance bulls that will produce cows that fit your environment. This is much easier and much more profitable than artificially changing the environment with expensive inputs to fit your cows.
- Step 3... Increase stocking rates by over 30% with the right size and type of cows. Smaller, more efficient cows will always produce more total pounds per acre - and those pounds will always be worth more per pound.
- Step 4... Utilize rotational grazing to increase forage production and stocking rates by 50 to over 200 percent.
- Step 5... Do more grazing and less feeding. The easiest money you will ever make is the money you don't spend - and that money is tax-free.
- Step 6... Remember you are in a solar energy-based business - not a fossil fuel-based business. You don't need much in the way of vehicles, tractors and equipment. Let your cows do the work for you.
- Step 7... Work with nature - instead of against nature. This can easily increase profits by $50 to $100 per cow.
- Step 8... Use calving ease bulls to reduce death loss, decrease labour, increase enjoyment, improve fertility and shorten your calving season.
- Step 9... Use genetics to fix problems - instead of spending money on chemical, technical and mechanical solutions that won't last. Parasite problems are a perfect example of this.
- Step 10... Stop associating with whiners, complainers and blamers. In addition to associating with positive people, you need to be careful about what you read. Most of the information that is being circulated is focused on increasing production per individual animal. That is what put you on the wrong road in the first place.
Cow-calf producers who have taken these steps are two to four times more profitable than the average cow-calf producer. They have also substantially increased their enjoyment and improved their lifestyle. Consequently, they have an operation that the next generation is anxious and excited to become involved in. Agriculture must be both Profita-Bull and Sustaina-BULL!
You can do it! These very successful producers have done nothing that cannot be done by others. Believe it or not, some of these producers did not inherit anything. They created their phenomenal success from scratch - simply by following the 10 steps listed above. You can do the same thing - but you won't go anywhere until you take the first step.
Read full article here.
Would you like to hear more from us? Be sure to sign up to our email list for more interesting information & updates on our program.